RVAmerica.com Forums
 
RVAmerica ForumsRVAmerica ForumsBulletin BoardBulletin BoardPhoto ForumPhoto ForumRubber Roof RepairRubber Roof Repair
Previous Previous
 
Next Next
New Post
 11/13/2010 3:24 PM
 
 Modified By johnchurn  on 3/5/2011 7:27:13 PM

We all know to check all the caulking joints on the roof, at least once a year. I always look closely when washing the roof.

Well I had a silent killer. No signs of leakage inside. The main joints for my rear roof entry ladder had a couple of cracks in them and were allowing the wood under the roof to get wet over time. The last time I went up on the roof I noticed the roof trying to lift a little when I would pull up on the ladder to get on the roof. I did some investigating and discovered the cracks in the caulking around the ladder top mounts. When I felt around the top roof mounts they were spongy. The mounts on the back of the motorhome were rock solid, so access was not a problem, but I didn't like the roof trying to lift up when pulling on the very top mounts. I went in the closet and looked for water damage and there was no sign of water leaks or damage. I just didn't know it was happening. It had to be leaking a long time to deteriorate the wood under the rubber. I fixed the caulking about 6 months ago, but I was not satisfied with the weak roof under the rubber.

Here's the area I am talking about.


Big Bad John & Runaround Sue & Paris *Hammock,Florida* *97 Dutch Star Diesel* *76 VW Bay Window Bus* *91 Classic Harley Davidson* *1949 Ford Lead Sled* *2012 HD LSV
New Post
 11/13/2010 3:28 PM
 
 Modified By johnchurn  on 3/5/2011 7:28:00 PM

I had an idea that would satisfy my dissatisfaction of the deteriorated wood under the rubber roof.

The first thing I had to do was to cut a template out of paper so I could route around all the mounts.


Big Bad John & Runaround Sue & Paris *Hammock,Florida* *97 Dutch Star Diesel* *76 VW Bay Window Bus* *91 Classic Harley Davidson* *1949 Ford Lead Sled* *2012 HD LSV
New Post
 11/13/2010 3:30 PM
 
 Modified By johnchurn  on 3/5/2011 7:28:36 PM

Then I cut a large piece of plexaglass. I could cut the straight lines on the table saw, but I knew the cross cuts would be hard to cut with a saber saw.


Big Bad John & Runaround Sue & Paris *Hammock,Florida* *97 Dutch Star Diesel* *76 VW Bay Window Bus* *91 Classic Harley Davidson* *1949 Ford Lead Sled* *2012 HD LSV
New Post
 11/13/2010 3:32 PM
 
 Modified By johnchurn  on 3/5/2011 7:29:08 PM

I decided to use one of my body tools to cut out the cross lines. It was a high speed cutting wheel. It did a great job.


Big Bad John & Runaround Sue & Paris *Hammock,Florida* *97 Dutch Star Diesel* *76 VW Bay Window Bus* *91 Classic Harley Davidson* *1949 Ford Lead Sled* *2012 HD LSV
New Post
 11/13/2010 3:33 PM
 
 Modified By johnchurn  on 3/5/2011 7:29:44 PM

It did the job.


Big Bad John & Runaround Sue & Paris *Hammock,Florida* *97 Dutch Star Diesel* *76 VW Bay Window Bus* *91 Classic Harley Davidson* *1949 Ford Lead Sled* *2012 HD LSV
New Post
 11/13/2010 3:34 PM
 
 Modified By johnchurn  on 3/5/2011 7:30:16 PM

Sanded all the edges.


Big Bad John & Runaround Sue & Paris *Hammock,Florida* *97 Dutch Star Diesel* *76 VW Bay Window Bus* *91 Classic Harley Davidson* *1949 Ford Lead Sled* *2012 HD LSV
New Post
 11/13/2010 3:35 PM
 
 Modified By johnchurn  on 3/5/2011 7:30:55 PM

Cleaned up the new panel with windex so it would stick to the new caulking.


Big Bad John & Runaround Sue & Paris *Hammock,Florida* *97 Dutch Star Diesel* *76 VW Bay Window Bus* *91 Classic Harley Davidson* *1949 Ford Lead Sled* *2012 HD LSV
New Post
 11/13/2010 3:37 PM
 
 Modified By johnchurn  on 3/5/2011 7:31:27 PM

It was very hard to try and work with both hands standing on the ladder, so being an old telephone man I made a harness to allow me to lean back on the strap with both hands free.


Big Bad John & Runaround Sue & Paris *Hammock,Florida* *97 Dutch Star Diesel* *76 VW Bay Window Bus* *91 Classic Harley Davidson* *1949 Ford Lead Sled* *2012 HD LSV
New Post
 11/13/2010 3:42 PM
 
 Modified By johnchurn  on 3/5/2011 7:32:03 PM

I laid the new piece of plexaglass in place and marked all the cutouts. Then I applied Di Cor caulking to the inside of all the cutout lines. Di Cor is specifically made for rubber roofs, is self leveling and sticks to anything. Then I laid the new piece of plexaglass on the caulking lines and checked all the joints.


Big Bad John & Runaround Sue & Paris *Hammock,Florida* *97 Dutch Star Diesel* *76 VW Bay Window Bus* *91 Classic Harley Davidson* *1949 Ford Lead Sled* *2012 HD LSV
New Post
 11/13/2010 3:48 PM
 
 Modified By johnchurn  on 3/5/2011 7:32:52 PM

Now I am satisfied I have the leak stopped and the weak roof supported. I over lapped the weak areas about 4 inches to make sure I was giving the weak area plenty of support. You can see the wood line of two joints. The wood was weak up to the gray line, so you can see the support into the next solid piece of wood.

My main concern was the roof might try to flap in the wind because there was no glue left between the roof and the damaged wood.

It proably will out last me.


Big Bad John & Runaround Sue & Paris *Hammock,Florida* *97 Dutch Star Diesel* *76 VW Bay Window Bus* *91 Classic Harley Davidson* *1949 Ford Lead Sled* *2012 HD LSV
Previous Previous
 
Next Next
RVAmerica ForumsRVAmerica ForumsBulletin BoardBulletin BoardPhoto ForumPhoto ForumRubber Roof RepairRubber Roof Repair

Horizon Block
Progressive Insurance