Hi there RVA gang:
This old man could really use some help, and might also aggitate the brain cells of our esteemed moderator.
Even some of the stated symptoms seems really odd to me, but the description is what has been happening.
So, here is the scenario:
- - - - -
Itasca Electrical Problems (first noted 01/07/2013)
2006 Itasca IPV33, with 2006 Ford F-53 chassis
Picked up coach at CWRV after having air conditioning compressor
replaced and left bank oxygen sensor replaced.
Drove home and parked RV for apx two weeks.
Went to start it and battery was totally dead (no lights anywhere, nothing). Battery voltage was too low to accept a charge (from a smart battery charger).
Removed battery from coach and measured across both battery terminals;
voltage was non-existent (i.e., 0.0 volts).
Bought new battery and re-installed it in RV.
Coach fired right up and was driven from Grass Valley about 30 minutes
to my other residence in Auburn (Linda's house).
RV sat overnight, and started right up the next day.
Drove RV for about an hour to downtown Sacramento. RV sat there for
about two hours while tires where changed.
RV started right up and was driven down the highway for about six hours.
Stopped at a rest stop and turned off engine.
After about a ten-minute stop, tried to start engine again, but engine,
dashboard, and exterior lights were all non-functional (i.e, not getting any battery voltage from the engine battery).
Used Winnebago Battery Boost switch to parallel engine battery with the
two house batteries. Dashboard cluster lit right up and engine started without a problem. Checked the charging voltage on both the House batteries and the Engine battery with the engine running. Both battery banks showed a charging voltage of about 13.8 volts.
Drove RV for about another two hours to an RV park in Bakersfield.
Turned off the engine and noticed the same symptom of no (electrical) response when the key was turned back on almost immediately.
Did some initial electrical checks on the battery (still installed).
Voltage across the batter terminals was 0.0.
Removed the Positive engine battery connection and remeasured the
battery voltage (using the battery posts as the contact points). The battery voltage still measured 0.0 volts (with the Negative battery terminal still connected).
Removed the Negative battery terminal connection, so the battery was
totally disconnected from any RV wiring. Interestingly, the voltage across the two battery posts was 12.85 volts!
(At this point, the 0.0 battery voltage reading with the Negative terminal still connected, makes no electrical sense to me at all!)
Left the Engine battery totally disconnected from the RV overnight (so
as to not totally discharge the battery).
The next morning, again checked the battery voltage (disconnected), and it was at about 12.85 volts. When reconnecting the battery, carefully watched the post terminal connections for any sparks which would indiate a large
current draw--and saw none (no sparks, either large or small, were noticed.)
Interestingly, when attempting to start the RV, the same dead dashboard
and no engine start symptom was evident as soon as I turned the ignition key to the On position. Used the Battery Boost switch to bridge the battery banks, and the engine fired right up.
Drove the RV about four hours to a campground in Acton, and same dead
battery symptom was evident as soon as I turned off the engine, and immediately tried to re-start it.
Removed both Engine battery connections, in order to not totally
discharge the Engine battery while we are parked for two
weeks in Acton.
With the Engine battery removed, there is obviously no power to the
dashboard or the starter, but also there is no power to all exterior lights, the hydraulic pump for the slides, the entry steps, the driver's power seat, the electrical window, or the Tank Status gauges on the Winnebago Monitor panel.
Interestingly, with no Engine battery connected but with the ignition
key On, depressing the Momentary Contact Battery Boost switch caused all functions to come alive, including the dashboard and all the functions which were dead. For some reason, even tho the Battery Boost is a Momentary Contact switch, the dashboard and functions continued to
remain activated (without the Engine battery being connected) until the
ignition switch was turned off.
- - - - - -
Sure hope there is an easy solution, since we are planning on a two-week
excursion down to Baja.
I appreciate any help that you can shed on this rather perplexing
problem. Obviously, I can live with it for awhile, but disconnecting
the battery every day at a new camping spot can be a real pain.
s/Mike (and Linda, too)
- - - - -
OK, guys--put your thinking caps on and lemme have it.
Sure wish there was a way to get a Ford tech to chime in without me wasting tons of $$ on techs chasing something that they are not sure about.
Thanks for any help you might bestow on this tired, and frustrated, old man.